Pillion Friendly Bavarian Sightseeing Tour – 1 July to 7 July 2022
A 6 night, 7 day tour across France/Luxembourg/Belgium to Germany to visit some castles, drink heffeweizen and Franconian wine with a Bratwurst roll or two. Information and details below – if you’re interested, drop Jim an e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Day 1:- Calais to Saarburg (280 miles, 5 Hours) Meet at Folkestone Channel Tunnel terminal for an early train to France. Transit Day east across France on Motorway (including Tolls) and then some A Roads through the Ardennes Valley (France & Belgium) transit Luxembourg and finally into Germany en route to Saarburg.
Day 2:- Saarburg to Rothenburg ob der Tauber (215 miles, 4 Hours) Continuing east we head to the town of Rothenburg ob der Tauber on the Romantic Road, a worldwide symbol of German romance. Nestling amidst beautiful unspoiled countryside and with a walkable town wall and medieval fortifications surrounding the historic centre, Rothenburg with its winding alleyways and artistic treasures is a great place to explore.
Day 3:- Rothenburg ob der Tauber to Fussen (170 miles, 3.5 Hours) Today we head south to Fussen, home of the Neuschwanstein and Hohenschwangau Castle. Setting off along the Romantic Road, stopping off to visit a couple of towns and castles before joining the motorway for a fast transit to Fussen.
Day 4:- Fussen to Baden Baden (200 miles 4.5 Hours) Start of the return trip home, heading west from Fussen, along Lake Constance, with a few stops for the views. At the end of the lake, join the motorway to get some fast miles under our belt, before swinging off and joining the B500 through the Black Forest National park for an evening in the Spa Town of Baden Baden.
Day 5:- Baden Baden to Verdun (175 miles 3.5 Hours) Still heading west, we cross the border into France, and take a transit through the wooded Northern Vosge hills , before joining the motorway for more fast motorway miles so that we can arrive in the very pretty small city of Verdun to enjoy the afternoon and evening.
Day 6:- Verdun to Arras (185 miles 3 Hours) Continuing west, more motorway today for a fast transit to charming Arras, centred on its Baroque Grand’Place with its stunning Flemish-style gabled architecture and pavement cafés.
Day 7:- Arras to Calais, then Folkestone (70 miles 1.5 Hours) Heading home – hour and half to Calais for an mid-morning Le Shuttle, then home from Folkestone.
- Jim Leese will plan and lead the tour.
- Maximum of 7 bikes, with 5 to make this a viable trip.
- Confirmation of attendance by end Fri 31 March 23. Once we know numbers, we will firm up the plan including costs and any deposits.
- Locations might change slightly, depending on hotel availability and size of group
- Plan is for each of us to book our own Channel Tunnel tickets.
- Jim L will book all the accommodation in Europe (but not Folkestone the night before). Will aim for Bed and Breakfast where possible (not always possible in Europe) with Hotel Parking.
- Costings for planning purposes:
- Plan on around £120 per room per night; 6 nights = £720.00 (excluding Folkestone)1,300 European miles + 380 UK miles = £250 in Fuel
- Lunch, snacks, drinks and evening meals = say £60 per day per couple x 7 = £420
- Peage Tolls = £60
Approach to the Tour
- Meet each morning at the agreed time and place ready for departure.
- Ride will be lead, with around 1 -1.5 hours between comfort breaks/Fuel stops.
- Noting that it is a sightseeing tour, the ride leader will try to identify suitable stops for photos and places of interest.
- On arrival at hotel, there is no expectation that we will all meet for walking/dinner/drinks, although it would be nice to. This takes any pressure off the need to dine out every evening (we sometimes pop into a Supermarche and get some fruit, bread, cheese and a bottle of wine for a quiet night in).
- Agree a time and place to meet for the next morning for departure.
- Things will go awry … it’s not Jim’s fault (well it might be…)